Monday, May 29, 2017

Week 18

Hola familia y amigas,
Well, when one door closes another one opens! Yesterday was transfers, I left Departamental and I now live in Portuzuelo in San Bernardo! My new companion is Hermana C----- from Peru.  She speaks zero English…
I tried sushi this week....(don't worry dad, I got the one with fried chicken, not raw fish...gross), and it was...well, I wouldn't buy sushi for myself, but it wasn't the worst. I'm just saying, a cheeseburger and fries will win every time.
 X----- was walking down the street the other day with us and she said, "Como se llama?". So I said, "Josi".  She looked at me then pointed at herself and said, "Jo no". In Spanish "Yo" means "I" and they pronounce it in Chile like "jo". It was the lamest joke but we were laughing pretty hard. I wonder how long she was waiting to use that...?
Awesome scripture for everyone to ponder this week: "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."  Challenges and difficulties are part of this life, but joy and peace are the ultimate goal of the father. And so he says, "BE OF GOOD CHEER; I HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD."  Literally through the atonement Christ made it possible for us to have peace and ever lasting life. Don't let life's bumps get you down. Be of good cheer and know that through Him everything will work out.
In Alma chapter 37:38-46 we learn about the Liahona which is a compass that was prepared by the lord. The liahona worked based on the faith of those using it. When they became slothful and forgot to exercise faith, it ceased to work. When there faith was strong and evident, it guided them in the exact direction they needed to go. In verse 44 it says, "It is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss...." and verse 45 says, "...the words of Christ, if we follow their course carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise."  Through our diligence and obedience to follow the word of God we too can have eternal life and endless happiness. Just as those of scriptural times had the liahona, we now have the scriptures and modern day prophets to help lead and guide us. But it is our choice to have the faith and walk the path to eternity.
Mormon message for this week is called, "Come what may, and love it". I don't remember much of Elder Wirthlin, but he has some wise council. Don't stop at simply watching the video, read the talk. It is remarkable!
Key points:
Learn to Laugh
Seek for the Eternal
Understand the principle of compensation
Trust the Lord
I love how he gives an emphasis on learning to laugh. In Genesis 21:6 it says, "...God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me." God wants us to laugh, and to rejoice even in times of trial or when things don't go as we want them to. A couple months after Zak and I moved to Provo we decided to rent some tubes and float down the bitter cold Provo river. Part way down the river I pulled my phone out of the safety of a zip lock bag to take some pictures. After taking a few I handed it to Zak so he could also take some. A short time passed and we hit a small spot of rapids, small rapids, but big enough to bounce us around and splash water. Zak, holding my phone high in the air to avoid it getting wet, while I managed to grab a branch to help slow us down. My hand being weak (I had surgery on my wrist just a few months before) I lost my grip on the branch and it flung forward hitting Zak's hand just perfect enough to see the phone go flying into the air and wash away down the river. Now, we did get out of the tube and search for the phone but we didn't find it. I learned a long time ago, some things are not worth getting mad about. My phone was gone, what more could be done? I don't remember if we laughed while in the tube, but I know, I didn't get mad. And that's what made the difference. I look back on the "adventure" tubing with my brother as one of the funniest days together in Provo.  Don't get me wrong I have a temper, but I'm trying to learn to laugh and so should you.
I think I made my comp a little mad this week. She kept using the word "trunky" and when she asked what I thought I said, "I hate the word trunky. To me, all that word is, is an excuse to be a crappy missionary. Missionaries think it's funny to be trunky but in the long run, they are just being lazy and dwelling on things that aren't important right now." She didn't respond...Am I wrong? Honest thoughts, because that word bugs me...
I've been asked many times, "What is your favorite part of Chile?" Well, I have an answer. Juice boxes. They are more for adults than kids here, it's fantastic. For example, on any given Sunday someone will be drinking a juice box during sacrament. If you walk down the street and don't find someone drinking a juice box, then you must have been looking down the whole time. I love it! And they have really yummy pineapple, peach, and apple juice boxes! Peach is my favorite!
                Welp, have a great week!
                Hermana Sullivan






No comments:

Post a Comment