Sunday, May 21, 2017

Week 7

Hola!

This week has been incredible!  I started meeting with Elder C----- to start the nursing side of my mission.  He is a Nurse from Mexico, and has been helping with the mission health until I got here.  Also this week for our service hours, my comp and I cleaned out the church office. It was a horrible mess, but meanwhile i found a super old blood pressure cuff! It was actually super cool!

 One of my favorite people here is X----, she is a less active and she loves the missionaries!  She does so much for us! My first day in the field she picked us up at the mission office and drove us to our house, buying us ice cream on the way.  Then this week, I needed a pocket sewn on a scripture case I bought here so I could just carry a small bag everyday, and because she works at a sewing place, she made me a pocket! And today we were going to have to cram on the metro to go to the temple, but she owns a taxi....so she had her driver pick up my comp and I and the Elders in our same ward and drive us an hour away for free.  It was so much better than cramming on the metro!  She is so amazing, and works really hard to help me learn Spanish when I'm with her, it helps a ton! She is so patient, kind, and generous!

We serve in the same ward as two elders. Elder C----- & Elder C-----. They are awesome! We had a guy call and want to meet with the missionaries, which seems great....but seems a little sketch, so we agreed to meet him at Liders this friday (Walmart of Chile).  But instead of us teaching the lesson we asked the Elders if they would come with and teach, then if the guy is really interested in the gospel it won't matter that the Elders teach, but either way we're not in danger.  While explaining this Elder C----- starts laughing and says, "Oh I see, just cover us in worms, put us on a hook, and throw us way out there, and just see what happens from the safety of the shore!" haha We all got a pretty good laugh out of it, but we´ll see how the lesson goes this week.

Also here in Chile everyone has big fences around their houses that are locked, so there is no way to knock on doors, so instead you stand outside and yell "Halo". Personally I think it is super annoying...Anyways last Friday night my comp and I were sitting on our beds around 10 pm when a man starts yelling "Halo" outside our gate.  We could tell he was a lil drunk so we just made sure everything was locked and our alarm was set, thinking he would eventually go away.  Well 15 minutes pass and he´s still yelling, and shaking our fence. We couldn't understand anything he was saying.  So at this point we call the zone leaders to figure out what to do cause he isn't leaving, and they called Elders C----- & C--- who came over and talked to the guy trying to figure out what he was doing.  At a few minutes the Elders call us and say that the guy is convinced that his cat is in our yard/house....We look inside...No cat.  So Elder C----- in Spanish tells the man, "Sir, there is no cat." At the exact moment the Elder said that, the cat goes walking by our back door, in our yard.  End of the story is, Elder C----- jumped our fence and got the stupid cat and the guy left. ALL FOR A STUPID CAT!

So yesterday was incredible!  We had a meeting with the Hermanas in our zone which took 3 hours, so we were both a little bummed cause we didn't have a ton of time for contacting.  But when we finally got to contacting, we made 4 appointments in about 45 minutes! We were killing it! Then we taught a lesson last night with E-----.  He is a recent convert, he was baptized 1 month ago. He lives in a place kinda like a motel but way crappy. There are rooms, then outside the bedroom door you are outside in a common area, and everyone shares a little shower room and tiny kitchen.  So we teach him out in the common area.  While teaching him, a less active who lives in the same place joined our lesson, then our investigator P----- came and joined, and the last part of our lesson some random guy joined in and we all knelt for the closing prayer!  It was amazing! Also we asked P----- if he would be baptized and he said ¨YES¨! He has a baptism date for April 22!  P----- is Haitiano, so lessons have to be taught super slow because there is a HUGE language barrier, so were hoping for April!  It is incredible what the Lord can do when your being obedient and working your hardest!

There is a lot of really bad things happening in Haiti right now, so Chile is being flooded with Haitianos.  We are teaching several Haitianos right now and in most those lessons our investigator will read the scripture in Creol, then my comp reads it in Spanish, then I read it in English.  Our lessons are a mix of the 3 languages! Basically my head hurts...ha but its really cool to hear scriptures read in Creol!

To buy our groceries and food we go to the Feria every Tuesday because its a lot cheaper than going to a store.  We bought 2.2 lbs of raspberries for about $3.50! I am in heaven! Also my comp made the worlds best peach pie this week!

As far as nursing goes.  I have taken over care for all of the Hermanas, and beginning of April I will be doing all the nursing care.  Elder C-----l has done an awesome and very caring job, he's just a little eccentric. We have so many missionaries going to the doctor, who don't really need to be going.  Also a Hermana came to me this week and says, "Look how cool this is", she then pushes on her ankle and she has pitting edema that last 2 minutes! I looked at her and said, "That's not very cool" ha I'm now working with the doctor to get blood work done and figure out why she has such bad pitting.

It is so hot here, but i am loving every minute, my companion is amazing, and the work is moving forward!  I hope everyone is doing well at home! Love and miss you all!

Te Amo Mucho!
Hermana Sullivan









No comments:

Post a Comment